Tuesday 14 February 2012

Valentine’s night out

The rinse and spin cycle on my washing machine had barely finished after our session on Sunday, when it was time to pack a bag once more and head for the pool again.

Of course I wanted to practice the same old same old, and I did, successfully.  The most exciting thing, however, was the launch of Mackayak’s latest acquisition, The Black Beast.

 IMGP0041 Thinking about the Elbow Roll

IMGP0043 Post-roll

IMGP0045  I think she’s happy!

IMGP0049 Phwoar, look at the chines on that!

IMGP0051 Self rescue

After Mackayak had given it a go, I was instructed to have a shot.  Having squeezed in with my shoes on, I was handed a Greenland paddle.  I wasn’t quite sure what to do!  After a roll or two, I hit upon a new plan – handrolling!  Being a heathen, I handrolled the way I handroll a polo boat but it worked!  So, I can now officially say, '”I can handroll  a sea kayak!”.  The boat seemed really nice, so I look forward to having a go in the sea and seeing how she handles in some conditions.

IMGP0056 A confused paddler

IMGP0059 Handrolling – GET IN!

With only 5 minutes of the session remaining, I decided to jump back in my boat and complete four tasks.  Roll on left, roll on right, re-enter and roll and self-rescue.  This I did, in quick succession, so that was a positive end to the session.  Now I just have to get as slick in the sea!

IMGP0063 Offside roll (you can tell it’s ok by my hair!)

IMGP0064 Re-entry and roll

IMGP0065 Self rescue

After all that fun, I’m more than ready for my bed…..  yawn…….

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff! You guys make me wanna hit the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to practice in the warm without getting numb hands and cold shock!

      Delete